Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin disease that is characterized by elevated, flaky skin that is itchy and inflamed. Unfortunately, there is no cure for psoriasis and it is a recurring disease. Typically, a person who is suffering from this skin disease will experience psoriasis flare-ups that will last for a couple of weeks and then for the next few days, there will be no sign of the skin disease.
You can manage the symptoms of this skin disease by making use of natural herbal remedies for psoriasis. Though these herbal remedies for psoriasis might not help to completely cure the disease, they are great if you are looking for temporary relief.
Here are five such herbal remedies for psoriasis that you must consider in order to seek relief from the inflammation and the pain caused because of psoriasis:
- Turmeric– Turmeric is one of the best foods to include in your diet if you are suffering from psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis. The spice contains a chemical called curcumin, which is known for its anti-inflammatory property. It is observed that by consuming turmeric, you can reduce the frequency of your psoriasis flare-ups. Not just that, it is also observed that curcumin has the power to alter the genes that are responsible for causing psoriasis flare-ups. You can consume turmeric either by using it in your food or in form of a supplement. If you are not sure about the quantity of turmeric that you should consume then you can always consult your doctor.
- Apple cider vinegar– Apple cider vinegar has been used for ages to cure and treat many severe ailments. Psoriasis happens to be one of the many diseases where you can seek the help of apple cider vinegar for relief. Many psoriasis patients have noticed that if they rinse or soak their skin in apple cider vinegar then the itching that psoriasis brings along is gone. This herbal remedy for psoriasis is especially great if you are suffering from scalp psoriasis. It is recommended that you dilute the apple cider vinegar before using it, especially if you have a sensitive skin. Make sure that you do not use too much of it as the acidic property of vinegar might cause some harm to your skin if used in excess. For best result, moisturize your skin after you treat your skin with apple cider vinegar.
- Tea tree oil– Tea tree oil is a great herbal remedy for psoriasis in all possible ways as it has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, all of which are ideal for treating psoriasis, especially scalp psoriasis. However, some believe that more than psoriasis, the tea tree oil helps to keep your skin clear from the infection that you might get if you scratch your scalp. Tea tree oil also helps to get rid of the scaly skin and prevent further damage to your skin tissues. For best results, you can mix tea tree oil with coconut oil and apply it on your scalp.
- Aloe vera– Since ages, aloe vera has been used to heal wounds, relieve skin irritation, and to soothe skin burns. When it comes to psoriasis, it is noticed that by applying an aloe vera gel on your skin, you can reduce the redness and the scaling that the skin disease brings along. You can either apply a natural aloe vera gel to your skin or you can invest in any of the organic aloe vera gels or moisturizers that you get in the market today.
- Fish oil– Fish oil supplements happen to be a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which is a great natural herbal remedy for psoriasis. Omega- 3 fatty acids are said to treat many of the symptoms that various types of psoriasis bring along. It is observed that omega- 3 fatty acids help in reducing inflammation and the scaling of the skin. If you don’t wish to consume fish oil supplements then you can consider consuming fish like salmon, mackerel, and tuna, all of which are great sources of omega- 3 fatty acids. If you are looking for vegetarian sources of omega- 3 fatty acids, then nuts and vegetables like brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, and broccoli are your best bet. For best results, it is recommended that you consume food items that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids at least 2-3 times a day.
These herbal remedies for psoriasis are effective, especially if you use them along with the primary treatment options like the topical creams and medications. Another thing to keep in mind is that these herbal remedies for psoriasis won’t give an immediate result and it might take a few months before your skin heals, so try to be patient. However, before using any herbal remedies for psoriasis it is always best to consult your dermatologist regarding the same.