Women generally have to do exercises to strengthen their pelvic floor muscles. These pelvic floor muscles are located in the lowest base opening of the pelvis. In other terms, it is located where your uterus is located and holds all pelvic organs in place.
Kegel exercises along with the best Kegel exercisers are prescribed when:
- Stress incontinence – This means leakage of urine when you laugh, cough, sneeze, run, jog or lift heavy things
- Urge incontinence – This is when you need to urinate so strongly that you can’t reach the toilet
- Weak pelvic muscle after childbirth – During childbirth, the pelvic muscle stretches more than normal in order to get the child out of the body. In this process, the muscle loosens up a bit and all the organs it holds tight also get affects in this process
Causes of loose pelvic muscles
- Weight gain
Most of the causes of pelvic muscles are inevitable as most women go through pregnancy and childbirth and everybody goes through aging making this problem unavoidable. However, there are exercises that can help you restore the strength of your pelvic muscles.
Though you must have come across the best Kegel exercisers that are used to strengthen your pelvic muscles, there are claims by many that even the best Kegel exercisers can cause trouble to those using them. You can do your own research on them and decide on your own if you want to get the best Kegel exerciser or you can do fine without the exercisers.
If you have chosen to go ahead with the best Kegel exercisers and do Kegel exercises yourself, you can try these exercises and the results will be just the same as you may get by using the exerciser:
Here are some exercises you can do:
- Quick contraction and release – This can be done in any position you like. You can sit or stand or even lie down. If you are doing it for the first time, it’s better you lie down so you can focus all your energy in one place. When you are lying down, you contract the pelvic muscles. You clench them the same way you holding or control your urine. To control the urine, you need to clench the muscles and that is what you will be doing now. Soon you clench, release the muscle. Repeat this and repeat this as fast as you like as if you are running a treadmill, nonstop.
- Clench and hold – The second type of exercise is when you clench the pelvic muscles and hold them in that position for few seconds and release. This is different than the first one as there you would hold the muscles. Here you hold them for few seconds and then relax the muscle and keep going for ten minutes
- Endurance – Here you can clench the muscle and hold it in the clenched position for a long time. Keep it clenched for as long as you can as this will build up your endurance
- Bridge – In yoga, there is a pose called the bridge pose. You can look the pose up on the Internet and perform is. While you are in the middle of holding that pose, do the Kegel exercise, contract and release or try other variations of Kegel exercises. This will work better than any other exercise, as it will be combined with yoga. The benefits of the Kegel exercises using the best Kegel exercisers will get combined with the benefits of this yoga pose
- Clamshell position – You can lie in a clamshell position lifting one of your legs up in the air and then performing the same exercise in sets and repetition
- Consistency – No matter how effective your exercises are and how accurately you do them, results will no show unless you are consistent and do them daily at a set routine. Even if you have not set a time for this exercise, doing it once every day is enough to bring change
Some important things to remember:
- Before you start with your Kegel exercises, make sure your bladder is empty
- Find a quiet and empty place to do these exercises in if you are a beginner as it will help you focus and do them right
- If you don’t see results in few days, don’t be disheartened as it takes time to build up the endurance and strength
- Perform three sets of 10 repetitions each day to start within whichever position or pose you are performing the exercise in
- If your feet are uncomfortable or you feel pain in your abdomen or back after the practice, it could be because you are not doing them properly. The proper way to do them is by letting your abdomen, back, and buttocks loose and only contract the pelvic muscles
- If the how-tos confuse you, you can always speak to a gynecologist
- Don’t overdo the exercises to get results quickly. As it won’t bring the results any quicker but can tire the muscles and the functions will not be fulfilled
You will not require even the best Kegel exercisers if you can manage to do the Kegel exercises properly.